TOXIC FRIENDS AND TOXIC FRIENDSHIPS
TOXIC FRIENDSHIPS: HOW TO DEAL WITH TOXIC FRIENDS
Friends are there to help us through difficult situations; through break-ups, and to make good times even more wonderful. they are there to laugh and cry with us. However, friendships do go wrong sometimes and friends do have disagreements and fights. Some friendships do grow with those, while others shrink and die.
There is a toxic friend in everyone of us. Each of us has got faults and aspects of ourselves that the other may consider toxic or poisonous to their spirit. These aspects differ by degree and depth. Some friendships are toxic because one or the other friend possesses either of the characteristics of a toxic friendship.
WHAT ARE THE CHARACTERISTICS OF A TOXIC FRIENDHSIP OR A TOXIC FRIEND?
HOW TO TELL A TOXIC RELATIONSHIP: Characteristics of toxic friends or toxic friendships
1. They may tend to disappoint you at the last minute
2. They like competing - always wanting to one-up you
3. They may always find fault in what you do, say or wear
4. Your friend may drain you because they are too needy
5. She may be moody
6. Can't be trusted with a secret
7. Only nice when she needs something from you
If you feel your frinedship has become toxic; seek possible reasons first. It may be that your frined has a low self-esteem and wants you to feel small; it may even be that they are going through a difficult situation which you don't know about. Try support, and/or talk, depending on what the situation is. If your problems cannot be resolved, try to break-away from the friendship for a while and tell your friend you both need some space to think things through.
Determine the level of toxicity in your friendship
Ask yourself these questions:
1. Am I mostly satisfied with this friendship? 2. Am I doing most of the giving? Please note that giving is not just of monetary value. 3. Does she take pleasure in my accomplishments or is she obviously jealous?
A little bit of toxicity and competition can be a positive thing for a friendship or relationship; it can get you into action, motivates you and stimulate you if used wisely. Too musch can actually damage your sense of self worth.